I know I've been MIA for a few days but I warned you that things were going to be a little irregular for a while. There's been so much going on around here, I can't quite figure out what end is up but it's all good stuff so no worries.
We had two of "our girls" for dinner Saturday night and when I say "our girls", I mean daughters in our hearts who we've adopted as our own and they've adopted us. They graduated from Big Guy's class at the U of A in 2006 but keep in touch with us two "old" people who dote on their words and glory in their successes. Quite honestly, I can't imagine being any prouder of them or loving them any more if they were our own kids.
Salmon Spread with Horseradish and Assorted Breads & Crackers
Steamed Artichokes with Maltaise Sauce
Mashed Potatoes with Parsnips
Steamed Brussels Sprouts
Shredded Apple Pie with Ice Cream
So let's see how it went. Thankfully the company was fabulous, conversation scintillating and there was laughter galore because to be honest the cook was rather off her game.
- The Smoked Salmon spread was a trifle too salty;
- The Maltaise Sauce kinda' spicy because I used Kicky Kumquat Marmalade to make it;
- The spoon rolls weren't the feather light beauties that they usually are because they didn't have enough rising time in the refrigerator, plus I might have "cooked" the yeast;
- The duck needed more salt and pepper;
- So did the mashed spuds and parsnip combination;
- The brussels sprouts were overcooked, and
- The apple pie waaaay too sweet.
Don't you hate when that happens? This week there's not likely to be much of anything coming out of JBug's Kitchen because Big Guy's away and I really need a couple of days to get back in my groove but don't go away you hear. Incidentally, in case you're wondering what I had for dinner last night ...you're looking at it right now.
A year ago - Mulligatawny Soup with Buttermilk Biscuits
Two year's ago - Spaghetti and Meatballs